Friday, April 8, 2011

What to do with your wooden stamp blocks

I'm changing all my stamps from wood blocks to clear stamps so I have a lot of wooden stamp blocks left over.What to do with them?
Earlier today I read on Lizabeh Lee's blog, www.rubberroadadventures.blogspot.com is recycling her wooden blocks by making them into a variety of things. I saw on her blog where she stacked three of the smaller blocks, glued them together and it looks like she painted them. It turned out so cute as a  snowman! Very cute and it looked just like those expensive snowmen in the catalogs. Be sure to check out Lizabeth's blog!
I was thinking about what to do with all of mine. The wood is too nice to just throw away. I had two ideas. 
Here's what I came up with.

Magnets

I got out my stamp blocks, Fun Foam and chose the dies I wanted to use. I'm just crazy about Fun Flowers Bigz L Die. I really like the Daisies #2 Die, so I used them for my magnets. On two of the magnets I used Rhinestone brads for interest.
After choosing the size of wooden block and what die to use, I started running the Fun Foam through the Big Shot. The foam cuts like butter! After assembling the flowers I attached them with adhesive especially for foam to the wooden block let it dry and did the same with heavier circle magnet on the other side.
Our grandchildren are coming over tomorrow and guess what we are making? Magnets, magnets and more magnets!

The next idea just came to me and that doesn't happen very often. I though why couldn't I stamp on the wooden blocks? I gave it a try and it worked! I chose three different sizes of blocks and used Nature Walk stamp set.



I used Classic Ink More Mustard and rubbed the ink pad right on the wood on the front and back and ends.  I used a Stampin' Sponge for the sides. I stamped the the bird in Chocolate Chip and I used Garden Green and Elegant  Eggplant on the flowers of the branch. For the block with the eggs, I used Baja Breeze ink and Chocolate Chip of the # 147. For the smallest block I stamped the bee in Chocolate Chip in and colored in the wings with Bashful Blue. that's it! I didn't seal the blocks. I like the look just the way they are.
So there you have two different ways to recycle your wooden stamp blocks. There must be more ideas...

Tutorial on recycling wooden stamp blocks coming soon...
Happy Stamping!
Jane


No comments:

Post a Comment