Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My Husband is haveing Open Heart By-Pass Surgery On Friday 22nd

Last Wednesday, my husband, Norris, had two heart attacks. He had a heart cath on Thrusday and we thought he was going to have a couple of stents inserted and be able to go home in a couple of days. The heart cath showed that the blockage was too extensive for stents. The doctor explained to our daughters, Pam and Mary and granddaughters, Paige, Anna and Sarah and me that Norris would need  double by-pass heart surgery. He stayed in the hospital until Sunday morning; he was discharged and has been home this week. The doctor told us that the medicine they used in the heart cath needed to be out of his system before they could operate. Norris is scheduled for by-pass surgery on Friday, October 22nd at 7:30 a.m.

Surgery will take about three hours. Afterward he will be taken to Cardiac Surgery Unit. He will have a breathing tube connected to a machine; this is removed once he is awake and strong enough to breath on his own, IV catheters in his arm and neck, a catheter in his bladder, chest dranage tubes that exit below his breastbone, a heart monitor, and a stomach tube inserted through his nose.

Once the breathing tube is out he will be assisted by a nurse to sit on the side of his bed. He will be sitting up in a chair the evening of surgery or the morning after. He will be taught how to move without hurting his chest. He will be able to have ice chips and a few sips of water.. Norris will stay in the hospital for 4-5 days.

He will be off work for 12 weeks. By the end of the 12 weeks, his breast bone will be healed so he can go back to installing hard surface flooring like he did prior to his heart attacks and heart surgery!
I will keep you updated through out the day on Friday and the week-end.
Thank you for all your prayers.


  1. My prayers are with you and your family.

  2. Jane,
    I will continue to hold you, Norris and your family up in prayer!

  3. Lots of thoughts and prayers go out to all of you.

  4. I am praying for Norris and your family.

  5. Yall are in my thoughts and prayers.

  6. Hi Jane,

    I hope everything goes well for Norris and keep us updated. Can you send me your snail mail address so I can send Norris (and you) a card?

  7. You are all in my thoughts and prayers! Looking forward to the updates and progress reports. Take care and God Bless You All!

    Cynthia Ferenz

  8. Thanks for the update, Jane. I'll continue to pray.


  9. Ron had double bypass surgery as well a couple of years ago. I pray that Norris heals as quickly as Ron did. His heart is in great shape now. The hospital where he had his surgery actually had him walk from the recovery room down the Cardiac Care hall to his room just a couple hours after his surgery.
    Blessings and peace for you both,
    Sue Erickson

  10. Hanging in there with you Jane. One of the biggest things for you to know is do not be surprised by all of the tubes and machines when you first see him after surgery. And, yes, they get them walking very soon. Henry wears his "I walked out of I.C.C.U." t-shirt proudly. I am glad you are keeping us updated through your blog site. I will sign on and follow along to see how things go. Take care.