Saturday, April 3, 2010

Answers to Tile Coaster Questions


I've had many questions on "how to" in making the tile coasters, so here you go....
I found my tiles at Lowe's, they are 4" x 4" unpolished. I rinse the tiles in warm water and let dry. When dry, I stamp the image using Stampin' Up! Craft Ink and stamp of choice. I bake them in a 300 degree oven for 20 minutes.  I use an old cookie sheet I have for just craft projects. Let cool on the cookie sheet. Caution!! these are very hot, don't burn your self!
Once cool, I spray 3 coats of a Matt Finish spray. Wait 30 minutes between coats.  I put the tiles inside a large cardboard box to spray. Be sure to do this outside. To make sure the ink is sealed I brush one coat of Air-Dry Perm Enamel Clear Gloss Glaze,  from Delta. It works great with tile, glass and ceramic. It's Non-Toxic and water clean-up. If you use more than one coat, let dry 1 hour between coats. If you want a matt finish don't use the Air-Dry Clear Gloss Glaze, but spray 4 coats instead of three.
These tiles are so much fun to make and look like the expensive coasters you find in Specilty catalogs and sell for $49.00 for a set of four.  I apply felt circles on each corner on the underside.
To give as a gift, I stack the tiles and tie with a bow. They make lovely gifts for all occasions.
I hope you will give it a try. If you have more questions please email me at: janegiggy@comcast.net

Happy Stamping!
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment